Entertainment Trading Cards / Successful Tournaments
Running Successful Tournaments
Once your store has an official Tournament Organizer, you'll want a strategy to obtain and retain customers. Here are a few tips for how to build up your player base and keep them coming back.
- Promote – Sanction your tournaments at least 30 days in advance to make sure that potential players in your area know that you are holding an event. Posters, bag stuffers, and email newsletters are all effective and inexpensive ways to get the word out and build a strong player base.
- Consistency – Run your tournaments on a regular basis. Your players will like that they can count on an event on the same day and at the same time every week.
- Integrity – Whenever possible, have a qualified judge run your tournaments. Having someone to run your events who is well-versed in the rules for Upper Deck Entertainment's games is invaluable to your store. It doesn't have to be an employee of your store, either. UDE's corps of volunteers are the right people for this job!
- Fun – Make sure your events are fun for everyone, not just for your top players. Spreading out the prize distribution keeps everybody coming back week after week.
- Demos – Sampling is a powerful sales tool, and running successful demos can have a major impact on your card game sales. Your in-store tournaments will draw attention, so be prepared to demo the game to interested and curious onlookers. Demos create new players, and new players lead to more sales!